Friday, April 20, 2012

I was asked the other day....

     There is a close friend of mine that is working on a project for the Army Wives.  She asked for my participation and I read into what she wanted from me.  A picture of you, basic information, and ...... Advice or a quote I would share with other military wives.  I have started thinking about what it is I would share with another spouse.  When I think about this question, I don't freeze up, I don't draw a blank.  In fact, I can't seem to find the end of the things I would share. 
    So I started to think about how I can cram everything into a little bit of writing.  I came to the conclusion, that it will not be easy, but I will share the important things that I know, and put the rest here. 
    If a new spouse came to be and asked me to share with her what I know and advice, I would need to make a pot of coffee, and say this:
    You have to give up a lot of yourself, and the life that you once knew is no more.  You reflect your husband, so your mistakes are now his.  Not everyone is cut out for this lifestyle.  It is in no way an easy task to be a successful military wife. Surround yourself with your new "family."  Your family back home is still and always will be your family.  However, they can not come running when you and the kids are sick, or when you need help.  This is what those wonderful ladies around you will help you with. Most often times, without you even asking!  The army doesn't care about the plans you made for the weekend, they are going to the field and there is nothing you can do about it.  Be prepared for that to happen more than one time.  Rank is something that your soldier earns and wears, not you.  Your rank is "wife"  nothing more and nothing less.  Though some people have yet to figure this out, we are all in the same situation.  No one is better than the next no matter what your husband does at work.  Deployments seem like the end of the world more times than not.  There is no secret to get through the rough times, except to know who you can count on and stay as busy as possible.  We planned things as often as we could to pass the time and days as fast as possible.  Sleepover, potlucks, coffee, dinner out, movies, playdates, park days..... WINE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND (except for the people that bring you wine, there now your best friends ;) Not all days are great.  Neither are all duty stations.  Make the very best out of what you have, or I can promise you, you will be miserable! Eventually, after you have gotten as close as you can to your "army family", someone will be leaving.  It's never good-bye... always see you later.  You can't take your friends with you when you have to leave.  Once again you have no say in when you leave either.  You are on the military's time now.  FRG's are not always what people think they will be, but I can say that I met the most people becoming a part of it than I did on my own.  Try it at least once.  Take time for you when the kids are sleeping.  Time to relax and do something that you want to do.  You can get 16 free hours of childcare a month while your soldier is deployed (I think that goes for all posts)  USE IT.... ITS FREE 100%, and even if you think you don't, you not only need it, but deserve it.  Macaroni and cheese is a totally acceptable dinner during deployments.  The most important thing is to find your inner strength and independence. Hold your head high because you are part of an elite force of wives!

There is so much more.. I think that I could go forever.  I think this might be the basics of it. That's my advice.... Just keep going is all you can do
"you don't know how strong you are, until being strong is the only option that you have"

1 comment:

  1. omg i love it Whit!!! I love the last quote!! alot!! And that Wine is your best friend. and if someone brings you when then they're now your best friend!! love it!!!

    So...think on this then for the project....

    How do you recapture 'you' when you're married to the military?

    ReplyDelete