Monday, April 9, 2012

Learning another path of Army life

    It has been almost 3 years since we moved here to Fort Riley, and started this roller coaster ride we call "army life."  In that time, I have met some of the most amazing people, and now I call them family.  They are more like family than I could have ever imagined they would be.  We were very fortunate to come to this unit as much as we were really worried about Kansas, and what we would do in the boring old state.  A state that was not home.  The first time that we were ever away from home.  To add to it, I had 2 young kids in tote.  Kids I would have to learn to have more patience with, and learn to do more on my own than I did back home.  In short, I had very little time to learn independence.  It was a lot like going to a foreign country and not knowing anyone or anything, but you knew no matter what you had no other options.
    I learned very quickly to make the best of what I had, and that was the best choice I could have made.  When I started to meet people, it didn't take long before there were a number of us that hung out more times than not.  They were there for me in times that I used to need family for.  We all learned about each others past present and future.  No one judged, we just talked and shared stories, wine and food.  Birthdays, holidays, long weekends... they were all an excuse to all get together and hang out.  Something that we all need from time to time.
    These are ladies that know more about me than I sometimes know about myself.  We made it through a deployment holding hands and standing tall.  A support system for one another.  Our kids have grown close and have become part of eachother's lives as well.
   Now, after a deployment, field trainings, NTC, late nights at work, holidays alone, birthdays without our real families, and everything in between, we have all bonded together so tight.  Without hesitation they are ladies that I call when I need help, advice or someone to listen. To know that when I need some help they will be there and expect nothing in return, except that I am there for them when they need something. 
   I was just thinking about how we all came so close, and never talked about the day that might take us away in the future.  We never talked about where we wanted to go next.  I think we all forgot that someday there would be an end.  Now..... that time is coming very quickly, and I don't know what it will be like watching so many of these great people leave in a short amount of time.  In the past it was day to day and there was not talk about the future PCSing that was coming.  We all knew when the deployment was over that this was going to happen, but it was never as real as it is now.  We are all aware that this is all part of the lifestyle, but I don't think that this will ever get any easier no matter how long we are in the army.
   I feel like we are on the countdown now.  Something I have never had to do before.  I feel like there is now an end, and this summer will be like no other that I have ever had before.  It will be hard.  These will still always be my first "army ladies" and the ones that taught me all that I know now.  I hope that we remain close.  It won't be the same though.  There not up the road when we want to hang out.
   I hope all these ladies are prepared for a glass of wine on skype once in awhile, I don't care if it's your morning or not. 
   So here is to another new experiance in the Army life.  At least most of us are doing it together once again.  I am sure that in the future I will meet many more great people, but no one will compare to my fort riley chicks!  So here is to future, and hoping that it as fulfilling as it has been for me here.  I hope that you find new friends, but never forget the ones that are here or where here.  So many memories have been made here that i don't think any of us could ever forget.  I feel like no matter where we end up in the future, I will always be comparing everything to the people and events that I have here now.  Future army friends...... you have a whole SHIT load of competition LOL

I LOVE YOU LADIES

No comments:

Post a Comment