Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Smoking.... non-smoking

    Alright, so it was decided that this family has spent the last 5 years and well before that buying about 2 packs of cigarettes a day for myself and my husband.  They are cheaper on this military post then they are in any surrounding towns.  SO instead of paying 7$ a pack, we pay 7.50$ for 2 packs.  Still when you break it down.... It looks something like this....
  7.50 x 7 = 52.50 per week.
  52.50 x 4 = 210.00 a month
  210.00 x 12 = 2520.00 a year.
  2520.00 x 6 years (that we have been together) =$15120.00
Yeah, I know.  We could buy a small new vehicle for that price.  Unfortunatly, we have nothing to show for it.  I have decided that I have been doing it far to long, and it is doing nothing for me in return, besides of course killing me.  I also have that little thing called AutoImmune Disease, which means I was told smoking was about the worst thing I could be doing for that.

                So there you have it, some of the steps that lead me where I am 2 weeks later.  I got an appointment with my Dr, got the Chantix, and prayed for the best.  Here is how it works.... You can take it for 12 wks.  Should you need more your dr can give you another 12 wk supply.  You can smoke for the first week as it builds up in your system.  Slowly within that week the dose increases in your system.
               Here is a brief run down of how it worked for me.  First of all some people say this stuff is so bad for you.  Yes, like any other medication that you take, it has side effects.  DUH...it can have strong side effects, but just be aware of them and you will be FINE!!!  Days 1-3 I took 1/2 a pill once a day.  There was no change in the way that I smoked, how often I smoked, or when I had an urge to smoke.  Days 3-5 I took 1/2 a pill 2x a day. I was slowly noticing that I was not smoking as much at all.  Days 5-7 I took 1 whole pill one time a day.  This is when I saw the biggest difference.  I smoked about 1-3 a day vs. the usual 15-20.  Just like that.  Day 7-till end of prescription is 2 pills 2x a day.  I did smoke one this morning.  I couldn't finish it.  So all together today I had 2 half ones that makes 1.  It's now 10:30, and I will admit, that I would like to have some of one.  However, I got some gum instead.  My advice to anyone taking it, it has been said that your DR sometimes "forgets" to inform that you need to take this with a meal and plenty of water.  It is important to take any medication with water and something in your stomach, it is most important with this.  The water helps you dilute the pill.... otherwise you will probably get so nauseated you will just throw up. 
               I am a little more irritable, I can imagine that is expected.  In the end I am really happy that I tried this stuff.  Quitting on my own was a total bust each time.  My Dr also informed me that it's really not good for your body to just quit like that.  It can be too stressful.  I am a little agitated right now with it being a long time since i had the last one.  I know thought that with this stuff I can actually do it, and it's not as hard as I would have thought.  I am putting a lot less work into it then I would have thought.  It kinda does it for you.  It makes the cigarettes taste so bad, you just put it out without thinking and then with a little gum and keeping busy, your pretty much set.  That is the part that has been the hardest.  It has been 104-110 degrees here so there is not a whole lot to do except stay in where it is cool enough to breathe. 
              I am confident that I will live though.... and even thinking about quitting before made me think that I was going to die without them.  I think that I will pick up healthy habit.  Perhaps the gym to prepare for my move to Hawaii, but that's in another blog post!
              If you are thinking about quitting, I really really would suggest you give this stuff a try... might just save your life. :) GOOOOOOOODDD LUUUUUCK

No comments:

Post a Comment