Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11... need I say more?

 Today I took a little trip, to a place I was not aware of until earlier this month.  Its the monument for the Fallen during the Global War on Terrorism, here at Fort Riley.  This really only shows you the soldiers that have given the ultimate sacrifice while stationed here. These are people from all over the world.  Though these cut very deep into my soul, it was a small portion of the lives lost these last 10 years.   These are not people that lost their lives in the Trade Centers that day, or the lives of those that tried to save many from the buildings.  This does not show you those that lost their lives fighting this war from any other Army, Marine, Airforce, or Naval base throughout the world, nor does it show you the names of the families behind any of these heroes.  
 It is however, a very peaceful serene location where people can go to pay respect to those that are BIG RED ONE heroes, and will never be forgotten.  What they have given was everything.  They did what many are scared to do, and gave it all for people they didn't know.  The families behind them are forever without so that we may be with.  For that there is no way to say thank you.
 I can tell you where I was when the Trade Centers went down, what I can't tell you is what I thought about it.  I was 14 and I can't say that this is something that seemed to very severe to me.  Now don't take that wrong way, I was aware that there were a LOT of people in there that were more than likely not going to make it out. I just didn't grasp what it ment for this country as a whole. What I didn't know is the severity of the issue, and that what had really happened would be an on going battle.  I could not have told you that 10 years later a would be married to a man that is now over there fighting the war, that started when I was 14.  What I can say is that I do remember how things changed after that. People you never talked to before helped you when you needed it, they said hi when they normally would not, they smiled a little bigger at you, and the whole nation was a little closer.  I can say that I did see the patriotism not just in my community, but through out the country.  In the newspapers, on the tv, and in the local grocery store.  We were, at that time, all one nation!
 In the 10 years since, I don't see that so much anymore.  Seems as though we do forget sometimes.  I know I do.  I forget sometimes while I am to concerned about the little things life.  No obviously I have a pretty good reminder that there is war with my husband being there and all, but I forget sometimes what it's all about.  I forget where it started because I get so focused on the little things in life.  When something doesn't go my way.  When in reality that is all part of a smaller picture.  I feel like some people really don't understand what a military family goes through and they probably never will until they live that life.  I do know that some have really forgotten what it is all about.  It is not about supporting the war.  Some people really don't, and there is nothing wrong with that.  There is a war in place, so that you have the right to state your opinion and I am a supporter of that.  I think it's fair.  However, I hate people that are so terribly mean to people because they are Military and they don't support the war, so therefore do not support the troops.  I understand they may not all have a constant reminder, and there not sleeping with a cell phone and laptop for 12 months.  There kids are not sleeping with "daddy dolls" so it's a little harder to remember.  I think that I would remember all the events and the fact that 9/11happened much more often if there was in fact someone close to me that I lost in the events.  Same thing. Well not the same thing, but the point I am trying to make is.  The truth is, it's not just those that lost their lives from Fort Riley, or within 2011.  Its not just about those that lost lives in the airplanes, or in the trade centers.  It's about something much more.  It's about all of that, and the fact that though may say this nation is still one, it sure does not feel like it did when this event first happened.  I feel like many have forgotten the kind, warm, togetherness feeling we all had.  the feeling that no one could take us down no matter how they tried.  the feeling and sense of being surrounded by heroes.  Because no matter what way you look at it, we still are.  There are heroes still looking down on us, and there are many around us in the community.  There are many over sea for you and there is some next to you.  I really think that we all need to remember that sense of patriotism that we had then and bring that back.. and not just on 9/11 anniversaries, but all the time and all year long.  So as you go about your day, smile a little more, help someone you might not have before, and NEVER EVER forget the BRAVE men and women from 9/11 and those that have come since that day, to make this country a safer place to be!   We are after all... ONE NATION under god .   

No comments:

Post a Comment